Saturday, March 24, 2012

California, Ben Rector, and the Boyfriend



Greetings!

Before I begin my update, let me just share a little something with you... actually, never mind. It's a story that is pointless and won't make any sense without a visual. Let me just sum it up: I bought a 2 gallon water jug, I couldn't figure out how to open it, I'm clumsy, I spilled some. The end. (But I wish there would have been a video camera recording it because it would have been hilarious.)

Also, California water is terrible. Like it's disgusting and I've been drinking bottled water since my arrival. Sad face.

On the positive side, um, the weather. The views. The weather. The views. It seriously blows my mind to be driving and suddenly seen mountains in the background. One morning as I walked out of work it took my breath away. Don't get me wrong. The beach is lovely. It's powerful and surreal, but the view of mountains just hits me somewhere deep in my soul. I have yet to pull out my nice camera, so no pics of the mountains yet.

I don't know how best to tell you about the first three weeks, so let's just do a little list to make this efficient, okay?

1. Traffic is ridiculously different than MO. I'm pretty sure I developed an ulcer driving to work on my first night. That being said, I'm doing much better than I expected with it. But sometimes I notice that I'm wound a little tight while driving.

2. Gas. Let's just say that I paid $4.21 today and I was happy about it. It's sick and it still makes my heart and wallet a little sad.

3. My apartment is good. The parking is gated, it's pretty quiet for daytime sleeping, and I haven't really had any issues. My kitchen is pretty much a counter with a baby stove and single sink, which is pretty hysterical considering my baking history. However, I did manage to make some banana bread the other day, so it's definitely functional.

4. I have a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, World Market, Starbucks, Barnes & Noble, IKEA, Target, and anything I could possibly want within a few miles. Of course, the traffic means it takes twice as long to do anything, but it's all there. I'm much more strategic about running errands than I ever was in Springfield.

5. I have found a church that feels honest and pure. Something really special happens during worship. We meet in a nightclub. :)

6. There are donut shops EVERYWHERE. That is not an exaggeration. At least every 2 blocks. For real. I guess CA loves donuts.

7. I've read more since I've been here than in the last 18 months in Springfield. I guess not having a social life has worked out for my reading time. As this rate I'll finally finish all those books that have been sitting on my shelves for years in just a matter of months.

8. This week I went to see Ben Rector and Needtobreathe. I was so enchanted by seeing Ben live that I didn't take a single picture. I've been listening to him almost nonstop since the show. Check him out.



Also, the Needtobreathe encore contained a drum performance that was....well...hot.

9. The boyfriend. I know a checklist of attributes for a future boyfriend is pointless. However, as I've attended shows over the last few months I've realized something. First, I really, really enjoy live music. I mean, duh, but I guess I hadn't seen enough shows in the past to realize how fully I enjoyed it. Or maybe I just hadn't seen very good artists. Anyway, this interest of mine is legit and as I've realized this I've thought about how it would be nice if my bf shared my excitement. Maybe not always the same bands, but at least the love of going to shows. I mean, it's not too much to ask for God to bring a guy that is silly and likes to see live music, right?

10. Being here has made me realize how much comfort I've taken in stuff. When I was unpacking and realizing that I didn't have some of my normal things that made my home feel like MY home, I internally freaked out a bit. But then I realized that it was just stuff. It was actually a pretty freeing moment. I'm learning that there's so much that I don't need. The idea of frequent moving and limited space has caused a shift in my thinking. Will this be a lifelong change or just for this season? I don't know. I hope aspects of it are a long-term impact.

11. The NICU at Mercy (formerly St. John's) is spectacular. Seriously. I'm realizing how amazing the nurses, NNPs, and docs are in all they do. I knew it was something good; I just didn't realize the depth until seeing something else. So, if you ever have a baby that needs to hang out in the Mercy NICU for a bit, take heart that it's an exceptional group with the utmost care for your little one.

12. I'm going to the zoo on Monday!!!



13. I had an iced chai from a non-Starbucks location. I still love Starbucks the most. Tru Luv 4Eva. Sorry.

14. I saw some guys surfing the other day. It made me a little giddy. (Not because they were surfers or cute- I couldn't see them that closely.) I was giddy because I've never seen anyone surf in real life!



15. I miss you all. There are moments where I'm excited and happy about my new little world and then moments where I wish my favorite people were here to share in this. It's been weird going from being around people nearly constantly to having a ton of alone time. I've never been so quiet in my life! I'm incredibly thankful for Skype and Google Hangout that have allowed me to see my friends and family while we talk. It makes home seem just a bit closer and brings a sense of normal to CA. But even with moments of homesickness or loneliness, I still want to be here. To be completely honest, the first few days I arrived I had to reassure myself that I could leave in 3 months if I wanted. But now I have gotten over that initial shock of completely uprooting my life and I find myself thinking about being in the area for longer...like a while. I'm settling in and I want to see what God has planned after I get over those first rough bumps of transition.

16. Please keep praying for me. Pray that God would help me to make connections and to find a core of friends, for direction about my next assignment, to find the right housing for my next contract, and for strength. I'm starting to see some of the reasons God has brought me into this season. He's showing me the cracks in my life so that I can build up my foundation. Pray for my heart to be soft and open to what He reveals so that I can be humbled and restored.

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. Having been where you are I am so proud of you, you are doing great and I love the introspection,ultimately that's what its all about. Keep on keepin on. ----Laura Beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you and love this..are you going to church at Mosaic?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Laura!

    Sarah, I've been going to The Garden here in Long Beach. I've heard about Mosaic, but after my first visit I decided that this church was for me. :)

    ReplyDelete