Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A New Car Perspective

Good morning, lovelies (...and handsomes for any men that happen to read this). Friends, I took a big plunge this week. I bought a car. EEK! It was my first time ever buying a car. I did the research, the test driving, and the negotiations all by myself! (And I walked away with a really great deal on a car with good gas mileage and reliability.) This whole process has actually been pretty symbolic.

Let me make it really simple (says the girl that just wrote this posting twice before deleting it because it was crazy long and detailed):

1. Change or impending change is hard. I like comfort and consistency, so I become quite indecisive. Car or travel nursing or whatever. It makes my skin itchy and tight to think about major change.

2. I get afraid, which is super dumb. I'm the daughter of God, so I have no reason to fear.

When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? Psalm 56:3-4

For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:13


For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7


3. Seeking out wise counsel is important. I did research for my car and the buying process, spoke with knowledgeable friends, etc. When I was thinking about travel nursing I spoke with my "sisters" knowing that they know me and would give me good advice. And I prayed for doors to be opened to the right decision for both situations.

4. Even with the right decision and a clear path being shown I still fear and doubt. See prior verses. I'm weak and an idiot. I'm human. But then I remind myself that my Father is going to take care of me and that He has it all worked out. If what appeared to be the right path is suddenly blocked I don't need to panic. Maybe that was the right path to bring new circumstances, but it was only a temporary path to the next step.

5. Peace...until the fear tries to creep back. But at this point I'm ninja fast at recognizing it doesn't have a place in my life. So I can speak boldly against it.

6. Boldness and confidence to move forward. There is still apprehension that tries to break through and sadness at leaving my comfort zone behind. But it's way better than living in the stagnate waters of "what if".

My new car and I will be heading to California at the end of February. I have been offered a contract, which I accepted. It all depends on my CA license being processed (they've had issues and so all applications have been postponed). So the pokey little puppy makes me a bit nervous. However, that's when I speak out against fear. If I'm supposed to be in CA, then it's all going to work out. And if I'm not, well, then another plan is in place.

It's been quite the week. New car, new job, new yarn for knitting. Okay, the last one wasn't terribly stressful. A lot is happening, friends. Let the adventures begin!

(Oh, and let's ignore the fact that my third attempt, which was supposed to be simplified, was actually not short at all. I'm chatty. That will probably never change no matter what car I drive or where I live. Thank you for accepting me and all my quirks. Over and out.)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new car, the new job, and navigating those waters! I'm impressed! :-) Point number 4 is especially poignant... When things go 'wrong', my attitude should be intrigue (huh... Wonder where the Lord will take THIS one? Ha!) and gratefulness that he spared me from something that apparently was not for my best. Hard to remember in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ri! It's been quite the eventful few days. :)

    ReplyDelete