Thursday, October 11, 2012

My heart is in China.

Last month I read a book by Jen Hatmaker. Seven: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess has really challenged me. Actually, God has been pushing at some ideas in my head over the last few months and the book was a something that helped confirm those thoughts.

Anyway, through the book and discussions with Sesha, I have been thinking a lot about orphans. The sweet, tender children that have been abandoned in this life from various causes have been on my heart. Sesha discovered an orphanage in China called Shepherd's Field that takes in special needs children. You guys, my heart is there.



Meet Amity. She's the little girl I'm sponsoring. How precious is that sweet little face??!!  Amity has a blood disorder that is causing anemia. They don't know the origin of her disorder. This saddens me greatly. As a NICU nurse, I know how easily accessible it would be for us here in the US to get to the bottom of her issues. You know, it's not often that I regret my singleness. I see the wisdom in the Lord's timing and I'm confident that I'll meet my husband when it's best. But in this situation where I would adopt Amity in a heartbeat, I wish I were not single and in a position to bring her home. Now, for her sake, I hope she quickly gets snatched up and taken into a family that will shower her with love. But I've been wondering if this is how it begins: the calling to adopt. If it begins with this heartache for a child so many miles away.... a desire to love and shelter one that is alone in the world... a desire to be home for one that seems so lost.

I'm not quite sure why I'm sharing this today. Maybe it's some crazy way that, in a few years, God will point back to this and say, "See what I had started?". Perhaps in an amazing series of events, it will get Amity's picture out there and help to lead to her adoption. All I know is that it's been on my heart to share about her. So here she is: the face that has taken my heart to China.

Also, you should read Seven. Seriously. Please read it.


1 comment:

  1. Amy,
    What a blessing that this is on your heart! I will add this to my prayers :). Precious baby girl!!!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete